Mar 25, 2019
THE PERSONALITY DISORDER SERIES
PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER (“Naija “context)
Good morning family of readers, l am excited to start this new series with because it has been a cause dear to my heart. Mental Health is not a joke, not a trifle as it can affect the quality of life a person has. Now let us get to the heart of the matter.
In Nigeria, the belief in supernatural forces, which have the power to change the life course of a person, is very pervasive. I know many Nigerians that are “code” (hide) their affluence because of the fear of witches or wizards (To digress, if these witches have that much power, then there is no need to hide as they can see us through their magic mirrors LOL. Please people of the night, I mean no disrespect; it might just be that it would be tiresome using your powers all the time.) As a result of this belief, people attribute all their misfortunes to others, a wicked uncle or an old woman who will not let you rest. Here, deliverance sessions are held to cast off those spirits of ill-fortune.
In addition, the unwelcoming economic lassitude ,lack of basic infrastructure, emerging winds of tribalism and regionalism and the fabric of basic human kindness torn in tatters, it is no surprise that majority of Nigerians view each other with suspicion and distrust.
Now, we do not want to get ahead of ourselves, there is a healthy dose of paranoia but when your sense of paranoia starts affecting domains of your life, name it, your work, relationships and health and these patterns have persisted for a long time ,then “bros and sisters”, we have a problem here. Let me shake this table some more,
- Are you always reading bad meaning to all the comments people make even if they are your loved ones?
- Are you always preoccupied with the belief that your spouse is cheating on you despite that you have no sufficient or shred of proof?
- Are you distrustful of all your work mates, always thinking they are out to get you?
- Do you get angry at the slightest criticism?
- Do you have a diary where you write all the injustices done to you?
- Do you believe that everyone is out there to exploit scam or harm you despite evidence to the contrary?
- Are you the parent that calls your children names and accuse them of wrongdoings you have not seen them commit or without proof?
- Do you believe that everyone is not deserving of your love as they are worthless and bad people?
- Have your beliefs of suspicion and distrust affected your relationships and life in general?
- Have you attacked people before because you felt they were destroying your reputation, yet no single proof?
- Have your family complained that they have tried to please and win your heart, yet you keep accusing them of being malevolent?
My dear people, if you answered yes to four or more of these questions, you are either “a person of the night” (who can divine the thoughts and intentions of others even before they act on it, please show us your divining calabash ),God or simply needing the services of a therapist .
This would be continued next post. Please drop your comments and let me know what you think?
- (no comments)